Tuesday, October 1, 2013

No Sewing Here, But Some Somethings

Sigh. Unfortunately there has been no sewing going on here. For some reason my sewing mojo has just totally fled me. Everyday I trolled all my favorite blogs and see people make some beautiful things and I think to myself "You need to get to your machine." So this weekend I decided to get off my butt and work on my tuxedo blazer that's been hibernating in my UFO pile all summer. After doing another muslin fitting and pulling out the fabric I chose for my jacket I realize that I'm not all that enthusiastic about it anymore. I went through my fabric stash to see if I could be inpired to make something else and had one of those I don't like any of this fabric moment. After pulling fabric after fabric and not being inspired I just walked away disgusted (I refuse to purchase anymore fabric until I get my stash down). Despite that let down I have been doing some crafty things. First, I'm knitting. I'm currently working on Hetty by Andi Satterlund.





It's a pretty quick and easy knit. Right now I'm up one sleeve. I'm using Valley Yarns Northampton which has been in my stash for years (I also refuse to buy any new yarn until I bring down my stash). I hope to have the sweater finished by the end of the week maybe early next week. What I like most about the design of this sweater is instead knitting sleeves seperately and seaming it to the body of the sweater you pick up stitches along the armhole and shape your sleeve using short rows. That's a technique I've never really done that before. Well actually done right. lololol.   I really do want to hurry up and finsih this sweater so that I can start on Gemini from Knitty.

Also, after two years of sitting in its bag I pulled out my spinning wheel. I blame it on Craftsy. lololol I decided to purchase my first class which was Spinning in Color and it had me itching to get back to my wheel. I'm no where near ready to tackle the color mixing technique the instructor showed in her video but it inspired me to work on getting better at spinning so that one day I can. I figure with the weather getting cooloer and me going out less on the weekend this would be a good time to practice. So I've rewatched my how to DVD's, I've been treadling on the peddles while watching Season 7 of Dexter, and messing with some inexpensive roving that I order from Knit Picks. It's funny but for some reason after watching these dvd again after two years it seems like everything has finally clicked. In one of the video the instructor talks about how different adjustment of the tension will help you get the singles I want without changing the way I treadle or moving the wheel band. I also practiced my plying. I had two bobbins full of singles that I spun up two years ago that I decided ply and I have to say I'm quite proud of how it came out.



I don't know how many yards are here nor the weight I was just happy to see my plied yarn looking more even and more like, well, yarn. Right now I'm spinning up some undyed roving into singles which I hope to ply and dye. Maybe I'll spin up enough to make something substantial, like a sweater. We'll see. Until Later, Happy Sewing

1 comment:

  1. what a lovely sweater. Love the cables. Can't wait to see the finished project.

    ReplyDelete

Hello!

powered by home study courses guide.